Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Ray Manzarek Dies; Founding Doors Member Was 74

Ray Manzarek Dies; Founding Doors Member Was 74

Ray Manzarek, a legendary musician who co-founded The Doors along with Jim Morrison, died today in Germany after a battle with bile duct cancer.

He was 74.

Ray Manzarek Pic

The group's official Facebook page announced the sad news, confirming that Manzarek's wife and two brothers were by his side at the RoMed Clinic when he passed.

"I was deeply saddened to hear about the passing of my friend and bandmate Ray Manzarek," said Doors guitarist Robby Krieger today in a statement. "I'm just glad to have been able to have played Doors songs with him for the last decade. Ray was a huge part of my life and I will always miss him."

Manzarek helped create some of rock's most memorable songs, from "Break On Through to The Other Side" to "Light My Fire."

His family has asked mourners to donate in Manzarek's name to Standup2cancer.org.

The Hollywood Gossip

0 comments:

Post a Comment